This salad is dedicated to my granddaughter Ambrosia. She is a vibrant and healthy young girl who loves her salad and fruit. When my daughter first named her at birth, I thought “Oh no, she will be teased a lot at school”. But I was so wrong. The name Ambrosia fits her perfectly. It is a food or drink of the Greek gods that confers to longevity and ageless immortality when consumed.
Well, we all know that eating fruit is very beneficial to your health. Fruit is loaded with numerous vitamins and minerals plus it provides a variety of health giving properties. Now Ambrosia salad is made with tropical fruit. These fruits have a wide range of health benefits:
- * Bananas: High in potassium.
- * Coconut: High in magnesium, potassium and iron.
- * Kumquat: A rich source of vitamin C and potassium.
- * Pineapple: High in bromelain, which helps reduce inflammation.
- * Acai berries: A magnificent antioxidant. Also a source of protein, fiber and omega 6+9 (boosts heart health and lowers cholesterol).
- * Mangos and Papayas: Great sources of carotenoids, which may help reduce breast cancer risk. Also helps clear the skin, may lower cholesterol and protect against heart disease.
This healthy fruit salad is easy to make and is delicious any time of year. Serve it in the heat summer at picnics, during the holidays to add a nice festive dish or when you crave fresh fruit to help you revitalize.
Note: Please use ONLY organic fruit. Commercial produce can be highly sprayed or even genetically altered. There are no life-giving properties when you mess with Mother Nature.
- * 2 cups fresh pineapple, cubed
- * 3-4 kumquats (may substitute 2 oranges), quartered
- * 2-3 apples (Granny Smith, Gala, Fuji), cored and cubed
- * 1 ½ cups grapes (red or green), cut in half
- * ¼ cup Acai berries (optional)
- * 1 mango or papaya (optional), cubed
- * 1-2 bananas, sliced
- * Juice of ½ lemon (for apples and bananas)
- * ½ cup coconut, flaked
- * ½ cup organic marshmallows (optional)
- * ¼ cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
- * 1 cup vanilla yogurt (peach is also a great flavor for this salad)
- In a large bowl, combine pineapple, kumquats and grapes. Set aside
- In a small bowl, add sliced bananas and apples then drizzle with lemon juice. Add to fruit mixture
- Stir in coconut, marshmallows and nuts. Gently fold in yogurt.
- Chill fruit salad until ready to serve. Garnish with fresh mint sprig if desired. Enjoy!