~ Baby it’s Cold Outside ~
Escape from the cold and discover special moments of homemade bliss. Come in from the chill to a comforting bowlful of autumn. This soup indeed, warms the heart and soothes the soul.
This tasty and warm soup is the perfect meal on a blistery autumn day. It has the ideal blend of spices combined with velvety butternut squash then topped with smooth crème fraiche. And to fit the budget, instead of buying outrageously priced crème fraîche, you can easily make it yourself at a much lower cost.
Serve this delicious soup warm with fresh bread such as Ciabatta or other Artisan delights.
- 1 butternut squash, about 2 pounds, deseeded and peeled
- 2 TBLS olive oil
- 1 TBLS butter
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1-2 mild red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 3 ½ cups hot vegetable stock
- 4 TBLS crème fraîche, plus more to serve
- Himalayan salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven 390°F /355°F (200C/180C)
- Slice the squash into large cubes around 1½” across
- Put the squash into a large roasting pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Roast the squash for 30 minutes or until soft and gold, turn once while roasting
- While the squash roasts, melt butter and remaining olive oil in large saucepan.
- Stir in onions, garlic and chiliis. Cover and cook on very low heat for 15-20 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Place squash into the pan. Stir in stock and crème fraiche and whisk until smooth and creamy.
- If you are unable to find butternut squash, you can substitute other types of squash for a delicious recipe. Squash that is great for soup include Hubbard squash, Carnival or acorn squash and Red Kuri (red Hubbard) squash.
Great Products from Amazon
I have to tell you, Amazon has some really good products that are low priced and of good quality. You really should check them out if you haven’t already.
Fantastic Soup Bowls:
Handled Stoneware Soup Bowls – Set of 6
Signature Housewares Print 1 Bowls, 6-Inch, Black, Set of 4
HoneyHome Handmade Jujube Solid Wood Bowl for Rice, Miso Soup, Dip, Desserts, Cereal, Salad & Fruit
Butternut squash in small clear bowl: QuintanaRoo Roasted Shallot and Squash Soup with Cocoa Nib Infused Cream via photopin (license)