Consuming water kefir on a daily basis is a great way to boost your daily probiotics. In case you haven’t heard, probiotics can provide multiple benefits for your immune system. Moreover, probiotics are live microorganisms “good bacteria” that can prevent and relieve many different conditions like gastrointestinal problems. Probiotics are also known to help with blood sugar imbalances, low energy, weight loss and digestive issues.
Water kefir is rich in enzymes, vitamins, minerals and “good bacteria”. Compared to milk kefir, water kefir is a bit less concentrated. As a result, it is less filling you can easily consume larger amounts.
Chai Coconut Water Kefir is a tasty alternative to regular fruit juice or tea water kefir versions. It is flavored with exotic spices and the subtle taste of coconut. Moreover, it is easy to make and well worth the wait for fermentation. Do enjoy this healthy probiotic water kefir recipe!
- 4 cups coconut water or juice of 4 young organic coconuts
- 3 TBLS rehydrated water kefir grains or 1 packet of kefir starter
- Sweetener such as honey, maple syrup or stevia, to taste (optional)
- 3 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 slice fresh ginger
- 2 peppercorns (optional)
- 1-Quart glass jar with lid, sterilized
- Pour coconut water into glass jar. Make sure the coconut water is at the room temperature
- Mix in the kefir grains using a wooden spoon.
- Add cloves, star anise, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, fresh ginger and peppercorns (if desired)
- If using kefir starter, warm the coconut water to 90° F (32°C). Mix in coconut water with a wooden spoon. Add spices
- Cover the jar loosely with a lid
- Allow the coconut water kefir to set at room temperature for 24 to 48 hours. It is ready when the water kefir turns bubbly or cloudy.
- Test the water kefir after 24 hours to see if it is ready. It will have a tangy taste
- When the water kefir is ready, strain out the kefir grains and spices using a fine mesh sieve (non-toxic) or cheesecloth
- Cover and refrigerate up to 7 to 14 days. Stir in sweetener if desired. Enjoy this healthy probiotic beverage!
- If you use kefir grains, you can use them for another batch. Store the kefir grains in 1 quart of filter water and ¼ cup organic sugar until ready to use. Make sure to cover with a lid and refrigerate. The kefir water will be good for approximately 14 days. You can also dry the kefir grains. First rinse them and then place them on dry on unbleached parchment paper at room temperature until dry. Store the dried kefir grains in a covered container and refrigerate. However, I usually just start another batch of coconut water kefir.
- If using kefir starter, then remove ¼ cup of the coconut kefir and add to 4 cups of coconut water to start a new batch.
- Diet Type: Vegan
- Culinary Tradition: Unknown origins but thought to come from Tibet and Mexico
- You can substitute coconut milk for a richer & creamier beverage.
- Do NOT use chlorinated water, it is unhealthy and it can kill the kefir grain.