One of my favorite side dishes is Coconut Lime Rice with Cilantro.
It’s easy to prepare in a pinch plus it keeps well in the refrigerator for up to a week. In this recipe, if you desire a strong coconut flavor then use extra fat coconut milk, the kind you find in a can. However, if you don’t like it as rich then use organic coconut milk from a box.
In this simple dish, the lime adds a slight sour kick while the cilantro heightens a special flavor. Coconut Lime Rice pairs well with spicy dishes to cool them down a bit and a side of vegetables such as with Vegan Grilled Zucchini.
Oh, I have to add this: Do you remember this song, “She put de lime in de coconut, she drank ’em bot’ up”? Well it’s true, coconut and lime together is great for a belly ache.
Limes and lemons are said to help relieve stomach ache that is caused by over eating and flatulence. Coconut milk or water is said to be an excellent remedy for stomach pain caused by irritable bowel syndrome. Many believe that it may cure inflammation and acidity in the stomach which can happen after eating spicy food. Hint, Coconut Lime Rice with Cilantro is the perfect side dish for spicy foods.
Note: This article is not intended for medical advice. Please, if you have stomach problems then contact your healthcare provider for advice.
Special Note: There are links within this post that we can earn a commission on. This is how we keep our site free for you! So we really appreciate you purchasing through our links.
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups raw Jasmine or Basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon honey or coconut crystals (optional)
- 3 TBLS fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 TBLS coriander, roughly chopped (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, bring coconut milk, salt and water to a boil over medium heat. Mix in rice; cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes stirring occasionally. Add more water if needed. Stir in honey if desired
- Remove from heat, cover and let sit for 20 minutes
- Mix in lime juice and zest. Add cilantro and coriander (if desired). Fluff with a fork. Add more salt if needed
- Serve hot or at room temperature
Coconut Lime Rice with Cilantro in white bowl: Marinate Me Baby via photopin cc
Coconut Lime Rice with Cilantro in glass bowl: I Believe I Can Fry via photopin cc
Coconut Lime Rice with Cilantro and wooden spoon: austinevan via photopin cc
Coconut on the beach: Alex [ www.bytefish.com ] via photopin cc