Are you on a raw food diet? Then this Raw Cream of Broccoli Soup is right in line with your taste buds. It’s creamy, it’s smooth and it is very delicious.
Yes, it’s possible to get a creamy broccoli soup without using cream or cheese. And because this recipe is raw, it preserves the nutrients and enzymes perfectly. Now if you’re on a very strict raw food diet, then you can alter the recipe by not lightly steaming the broccoli. Just cut the florets into small pieces before blending. Just know that this raw broccoli soup is ‘green’ tasting.
I personally like steaming the broccoli ever so lightly; it makes the soup a lot creamier. When steaming, make sure the temperature does not exceed 115°. Otherwise, it is Not a raw soup. I also use organic almond milk and avocado so the soup has a nice velvety texture and slightly nutty flavor. You can vary the herbs according to your mood or taste.
Once your raw cream of broccoli soup is done, serve it immediately with a nice cilantro, avocado or broccoli garnish. Believe it or not, the blender heats up the soup a little. Otherwise, place the soup in the refrigerator before ready to use. Serve at room temperature or lightly heat before serving. Enjoy!
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup broccoli stems, thick skins removed, chopped small
- 2 cups organic almond or cashew milk (may substitute water)
- 2 TBLS lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ avocado (may substitute ½ cup cashews, soaked in water for 10 minutes then drained)
- 1/4 cup yellow or red onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, to taste
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 TBLS tamari or nama shoyu
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper or cayenne, optional
- Additional filtered water if needed
- Prepare broccoli, chop into small pieces. In a large pot, heat filtered watered to 115°. Place the broccoli in the hot water or place in a steamer inside the pot. Cover the pot with a lid and allow the broccoli to steam for 5-10 minutes.
- Using a food processor or blender, add all ingredients including the lightly steamed broccoli. Blend at high speed for 30 seconds to a minute or until creamy and smooth.
- Beautify your cream of raw broccoli soup with desired garnish. Enjoy!
Supreme Organic Ingredients
Featured picture: olgucz via photopin cc
Broccoli Soup with bread: Jackie Newgent RDN, CDN via photopin cc
Broccoli Soup on glass table: Debs (ò‿ó)♪ via photopin cc
Broccoli: Seoulful Adventures via photopin cc