This Cream of Broccoli Soup is very flavorful and creamy.
It is similar to what you would find in an 18th century Shaker kitchen.
Back then, large cast iron kettles were used to cook rich and nourishing meals. Like Shaker life, this recipe is quite simple.
Moreover, it is delightful and fast to make.
This soup goes well with crackers, a sandwich or fresh bread such as Vegan Focaccia Bread.
Make plenty, this Cream of Broccoli Soup will go really fast.
- *3-4 cups fresh broccoli, chopped
- *1 cup filtered water
- *½ small onion, thinly sliced
- *¾ cup vegetable stock
- *1 TBS flour
- *2 TBS butter
- *1 cup milk
- *¼ cup cream or half & half
- *Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- *Fresh Dill
- *Grated Cheese
- * Steam Broccoli
- Clean and cut off tough ends of the broccoli. Cut into small pieces.
- Cover with water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10-15 minutes uncovered.
- Add onion and vegetable stock and cook until broccoli is tender. Cool slightly.
- Blend carefully and on low while holding down the lid until mixture is smooth. Or you can make the way the Shakers did by pushing the mixture through a sieve.
- Combine butter, flour and milk in a pan and heat to make thickening. Cook 5 -7 minutes stirring continuously.
- Add broccoli mixture to thickening and cook until warm.
- Stir in cream, salt and pepper.
- Serve warm in large bowl with preferred garnish.
- Diet Type: Vegetarian
- Diet Tags: Gluten Free
Pottery Soup Mugs
I have to say that broccoli soup is meant for a mug. Sitting down and engulfing a warm cup is heavenly! Here are a great variety of mugs just for the occasion.
Cream of broccoli soup with broccoli garnish: jules:stonesoup via photopin cc
Cream of broccoli soup in white bowl: Shana Lee via photopin cc
Cream of broccoli soup in dark bowl: jeremydeades via photopin cc