Forget the sugar and the empty white flour carbs; bake a good-for-you deep dish apple pie everyone will adore.
This is a juicy, delicately spiced and easy to make recipe.
Serve hot apple pie with a dollop of old fashioned ice cream.
Even better, serve this fabulous deep dish apple pie with Crème Anglaise Custard Sauce. Savor & Enjoy!
For the perfect pie crust see: Really Flakey Whole Wheat Pie Crust
Note: There are links within this post that we can earn a commission on. This is how we keep our site free for you! So we really appreciate you purchasing through our links.
- * Pastry dough for double-crust pie*
- * 8-9 cups of apples cored, peeled and sliced. Use a mix of Granny Smith and McIntosh apples. The Granny Smith stays firm and does not get mushy. McIntosh apples add a nice tangy sweet flavor
- * ½ - ¾ cup raw honey, to taste
- * 1 TBLS cinnamon
- * 2 TBLS unsalted organic butter
- * 1 teaspoon vanilla, optional
- * 2 TBLS organic lemon juice, freshly squeezed (optional)
- * 1 TBLS arrowroot flour for thicker sauce (optional). Commingle well with 2 TBLES cold water
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C)
- Prepare apples; core, peel and quarter in thirds crosswise
- Place apples in a large bowl. Stir in honey, spices, vanilla, lemon juice and arrowroot mixture
- Ready a deep dish baking pan with your favorite pie crust. Strategically place the apple mixture into the baking dish. Dot with butter once filled with apples
- Top the apples with a second crust, seal edges and flute. For a fancy presentation, braid the crust for a beautiful lattice display. Note: if you choose not to braid the crust, make sure to cut 3-4 slits with a knife to allow steam to escape
- You can also add an egg wash to the crust to give it a nice golden color with a shiny finish. Beat 1 egg with 1 TBLS of water, brush on gently. You can use milk instead of water for a reddish-brown color with a fairly matte finish.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 375°F then reduce heat to 325°F (160°C) and bake for another hour or until crust is golden brown and apples are tender
- Cool deep dish apple pie on rack for at least 2 hours. Serve with French vanilla ice cream or with Crème Anglaise Custard Sauce
- Diet Type: Vegetarian
- Diet Tags: Reduced Carbohydrates
Make Baking Beautiful
Easy as Apple Pie | Baking Accessories
Apple Pie Serving Dishes
Featured picture: David Leggett via photopin cc
Apple pie on cream colored plate: ilmungo via photopin cc
Fancy leaf crust (below): CutiePiesNYC via photopin cc
Close up of lattice crust: Dustytoes from pixabay