Bring the delectable taste of the Indian subcontinents or Caribbean Islands right into your kitchen.
This vegetable dish is often served over rice with a dollop of yogurt.
It is also very delicious and inspiring all by itself. You can serve it with fresh pita bread to make a wholesome meal.
- * 1 TBLS extra virgin olive oil
- * ½ cup sweet potato, peeled and diced
- * 1 cup small cauliflower florets
- * 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into ½ inch rounds
- * 1 large onion, minced
- * 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- * 4 teaspoons curry powder or 1 TBLS curry paste
- * 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- * 1 ½ cup fresh garbanzo beans or 1 (15-ounce) can, drained and rinsed
- * 1 (14.5-ounce) unsalted diced tomatoes, do not drain
- * ½ teaspoon rock or Himalayan salt
- * Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- * 2 TBLS fresh cilantro, chopped
- * 1 cup plain organic yogurt (optional)
- * 1-2 cups organic brown or basmati rice (optional)
- If desired, prepare rice as instructed
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high. Add sweet potatoes; cook for 3 minutes. Stir in onion, garlic, cauliflower and curry powder or paste. Cook for 2 minutes stirring continuously
- Add tomatoes, garbanzos and coconut milk. Slowly bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and cook for another 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve over rice or by itself. Garnish with cilantro and or yogurt. Enjoy!
- Unsalted cashews are also delightful in this dish. Add as a garnish or mix in with rice.
- Diet Type: Vegetarian
- Diet Tags: Low Calorie, Reduced Fat
- Culinary Tradition: Middle Eastern