This fall harvest dish is perfect for using up the tons of zucchini in your garden.
Serve it with pasta, rice pilaf, spicy couscous, Saffron & Mushroom Risotto, petite sandwiches or soup to create a festive delight.
It is an easy to make recipe that can be prepared when pressed for time.
In truth, this recipe is one of my favorites when I am in a mad dash.
I also like to prep it ahead of time and grill it in the park for a picnic get-together. The first time I grilled it at a picnic, everyone dug in and devoured it. The grilled zucchini was gone in no time.
Today, when I have an event with my friends and family they always ask if I am bringing ‘vegan’ grilled zucchini. I always reply “Absolutely”!
To all fellow cooks: Make extra!
- * 6 medium sized zucchini
- * ¼ cup virgin olive oil
- * 2 teaspoons garlic powder (optional)
- * 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- * ¼ teaspoon curry powder
- * ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- * 1 teaspoon sea salt (fine)
- * 1 teaspoon black pepper
- * 3 lemons + zest
- * 1 teaspoon sea salt (additional)
- * Extra olive oil (for brushing)
- Cut off the tops and bottoms of the zucchini. Slice each zucchini into quarters lengthwise
- Place zucchini in a medium size bowl. Add olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, 1 tablespoon lemon zest, juice of two lemons and optional spices (to taste). Make sure zucchini is spiced and oiled evenly
- Cover bowl, place in the refrigerator and marinate for at least 20 minutes
- Prepare grill between medium to medium-low heat. Lightly brush zucchini with olive oil. Grill each zucchini on all three sides until tender. Watch carefully so they don’t burn
- Mix together 1 tablespoon salt and the remaining lemon zest. Note: a fork is easiest to use for blending
- Top with lemon salt or fresh Parmesan cheese (if desired). Reduce salt if Parmesan cheese is used
- Serve with favorite main course or side dishes
- Diet Type: Vegan
- Diet Tags: Low Calorie, Reduced Fat, Gluten Free