Special occasions are a great time to enjoy a festive cake like this one.
Enjoy the spicy aroma of cloves and cinnamon that fill the air.
A simple gluten free recipe that can be made ahead of time and served when entertaining guests or for a special brunch.
- 4 cups gluten free flour, see note
- 4 free-range eggs (beaten)
- 1 ½ - 2 cups unsulphured molasses
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 teaspoons organic vanilla (optional)
- 1 ½ - 2 cups currents or raisins
- 1 cup nuts of choice, chopped (optional)
- ½ teaspoon rock or Himalayan salt
- 2 teaspoons cloves
- 3-4 teaspoons cinnamon (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (aluminum-free)
- In a large bowl, mix together eggs, molasses , butter and vanilla (optional)
- Gradually stir in 3 ¾ cup flour to the egg mixture. Combine well
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining flour (¼ cup), clove, cinnamon, salt and baking soda. Gently add to the batter. Do not over mix or the cake will be rubbery.
- Fold in currants or raisins and nuts (optional)
- Lightly oil and flour a Bundt pan or 2 cake pans
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C)
- Bake gluten-free New Year's Cake for 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
- Cool on rack
- Serve with sliced bananas or cooked spiced apples, icing or cream cheese frosting
- Diet type: Vegetarian
- Diet tags: Gluten Free
- Culinary tradition: English
- Note: Best with 2 cups brown rice flour mixed with other flours like amaranth, buckwheat, oat, millet, quinoa or for a nutty flavor almond or hazelnut.