In my journey with culinary foods I have tried making numerous vegan and gluten-free recipes. I am sure I’ve tried at least 20 vegan pancake recipes. The same goes with gluten-free. Through trial and error I finally created a flawless buckwheat pancake recipe.
Yes, this recipe has been perfected over years of slaving in the kitchen. But frankly, I love working in the kitchen. Now mind you, I should sell this recipe instead of giving it away on the Internet. Just do me a favor and pass it on to your friends so that my kitchen “slave” time is not in vain. J
As you probably know, you need to make sure and consume healthy gluten-free substitutes. For more information about healthy gluten-free substitutes: Choosing to Eat Gluten-Free
Okay, back to the important stuff! Buckwheat pancakes! You’re going to love these. This buckwheat pancake recipe is a breeze to make and can be whipped up in no time. Besides, they are guaranteed to knock your socks off, they’re absolutely delicious. Talk about moist, and of course the buckwheat gives the pancakes a delicate nutty flavor. Try adding raisins for extra iron or topping it off with fresh raspberries or blueberries for additional dietary fiber.
Note: These pancakes freeze well. Since I am anti-microwave, I slightly undercook the pancakes so they can be recooked and heated to perfection after they thaw.
- 1 cup organic buckwheat flour
- ½ cup organic rice flour (for fluffier pancakes)
- 2 TBLS flaxseed meal
- 1TBLS and 1 teaspoon aluminum free baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1TBLS organic date sugar or agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1 ½ cups organic almond milk (may use half coconut milk)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 TBLS extra virgin olive oil (for cooking)
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients
- Slowly add milk, vanilla and sweetener. Add more liquid if needed. Batter should be smooth without lumps. Try not to over mix
- Allow batter to rest for 10 minutes otherwise the pancakes can be rubbery due to the leavening
- Using a ladle or ice cream scoop, pour the batter onto an oiled medium-hot skillet. Use about ¼ cup per pancake.
- When bubbles appear on the top and the underside is firm, flip the pancake. Cook about 2-3 minutes per side
- Serve immediately with your favorite topping e.g. maple syrup, coconut whipped cream, fresh fruit or whatever your heart desires
- Diet Type: Vegan, Vegetarian
- Diet Tags: Gluten Free, Dairy-Free
Quality Healthy Ingredients
Buckwheat pancakes with berries: Will Merydith via photopin cc
Buckwheat pancakes with strawberries: continental drift via photopin cc
Buckwheat pancakes close up: Hjem via photopin cc
Buckwheat pancakes and honey jar: Jenn Khoury via photopin cc