Fresh steamed asparagus is the ideal side dish. It is one of the easiest vegetables to prepare plus it’s a great springtime favorite. It goes well with fresh herbs like thyme and a splash of lemon. You can also add a touch of fresh garlic for a nice change.
Did you know that asparagus has been cultivated for over 2,000 years? It has been used as a vegetable and medicine for centuries. It is known for its distinctive delicate flavor and diuretic properties in ancient cities and countries like Egypt, Spain, Syria, Greece and Rome.
Aside from being a great source of saponins, asparagus is rich in vitamins A and K. Saponins are believed to improve blood pressure and have anti-cancer properties. Moreover, asparagus is high in fiber, potassium and folic acid.
Although asparagus is available year round, the best season is in the spring. Prime harvest time is generally in April and May. Unlike other vegetables, choosing quality asparagus is almost an art. The spears should be straight and not bendable plus tender. You want a bright green color with no yellowed tips. Also avoid asparagus with flowers; it is old and will be quite tough.
Size is a misconception, it really depends on preference. Instead, make sure that the tips are closed tightly. You also want to prepare you asparagus as soon as possible because it does not last in the refrigerator long. But don’t fret it your asparagus wilts, you can always make a delightful soup.
- 1 ½ lb. asparagus, remove tough part of stems
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
- 1 TBLS extra virgin olive oil (may substitute butter)
- 1 TBLS fresh lemon juice
- 1 TBLS fresh chives, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- Dash Himalayan salt
- Dash fresh ground black pepper (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine organic olive oil, rosemary and thyme . Also add garlic and chives if desired (sauté first). Set aside. If using butter, add butter and herbs to a small pan then melt slowly over low heat.
- Clean and prepare asparagus by removing tough parts of stem
- Place asparagus in a steamer basket over boiling water. Cover with lid and boil for 5-15 minutes, depending on the size of asparagus. Make sure to not overcook
- Display the asparagus on nice platter then drizzle with herbed olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
- Diet Type: Vegan