This Scottish buttery shortbread is lovely, aromatic and so easy to make.
Traditionally, Scottish shortbread is generally made with rice or corn flour. Rice flour gives you a crunchy shortbread texture. Corn flour will give you a shortbread that melts in your mouth and adds a slight nutty flavor. But in truth, I prefer a touch of rice flour. It offer a flakier shortbread and mixes better with the chunks of butter.
This gluten-free shortbread can be adjusted to your liking. You can also add a touch of cocoa for a nice variety. To make a nice display, try using a combination of cookie cutters. Have fun!
- * 2 ¼ cups salted butter, softened
- * 1 cup natural date sugar, granulated extra fine
- * 2 ½ almond flour
- * 2 ¼ brown rice flour, may substitute or add other flours like amaranth, oat, quinoa, almond or hazelnut
- * Desired flavoring
- * Parchment paper
- Choose any of the following to fit your mood or preference
- * 1 TBLE espresso
- * 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- * ½ teaspoon vanilla extract or seeds of 1 vanilla pod
- * Zest of 1 lemon and 4 teaspoons fresh lavender flowers
- * Zest of 1 orange and ½ teaspoon freshly ground cardamom seeds
- * ½ teaspoon almond extract and ½ teaspoon of ground anise seeds
- * Coconut extract and sprinkled with finely grated coconut before baking
- * Use ¾ to 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder depending on preference, reduce flour by ¾ to 1 cup
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cream together butter and sugar, preferably using a wooden spoon but can use a whisk
- Add preferred flavoring
- Sift in both flours gradually. Mix briefly until the flour and butter bind together
- With floured hands, gently knead until the dough is smooth. Important: Do not over work
- Wrap the dough in wax paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes
- On lightly floured board roll dough out just under ¼ inch thick. Cut dough with desired cookie cutter shape. Metal cookie cutters are the best.
- Place cookie dough on 2 baking sheets that are lined with parchment paper
- Bake 12-18 minutes
- Cool cookies before gently transferring them to a wire rack
- Diet Type: Vegetarian
- Diet Tags: Gluten Free
- Culinary Tradition: Scottish
Organic Rice Flour
Rice flour: Has the texture of white but with a nutty flavor.
Gourmet Cookie Cutters
Other Cookie Cutters