The next time you heat the grill to cook your favorite entrée, throw on the asparagus. Grilling asparagus adds a whole new flavorful dimension to the extra tender vegetable that cannot be matched by any other cooking method.
In truth, you will be delighted by the results! Add a few cloves of garlic, a splash of organic olive oil and you’re set for a heavenly treat. And for a festive meal, splash a touch of lemon and some savory herbs like thyme and rosemary. You can also grill other favorites such as tomatoes, portabellas and bell pepper for a mouthwatering asparagus salad.
This grilled asparagus vegan recipe is easy to follow and needs to be on your must-grill list. Grilling the asparagus gives it the right amount of smoky piquancy that enhances the natural earth flavor of the vegetable. In addition, the grilled asparagus turns out perfectly tender and oh so moist. This is a Must Try Grilling recipe. You won’t be disappointed.
Oh, if you like your asparagus as is, omit the herbs and garlic and grill the vegetables with just olive oil and a touch of Himalayan Salt or Tamari . Enjoy!
Note: Tamari is a great addition to this recipe, especially if you like a more charcoal type dish. Tamari is an aged soy sauce that has as a richer, smoother and earthier taste. It does seem to brown easier, so take care.
Also, make sure and buy organic tamari because it is a soy base product. FYI: Soy is high on the list of GMO foods. For more info on GMO’s see October is Non-GMO Month.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated (optional)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt, to taste
- Gas or charcoal grill
- Narrow wooden skewers (6-inch)
- Soak your skewers in water for at least 30 minutes
- Preheat grill
- Wash the asparagus and remove tough parts of stem
- In a large bowl, mix olive oil, garlic (optional), lemon zest (optional) and tamari. Add herbs if desired. See notes* Set aside
- On a platter, divide the asparagus into 4 or 5 bunches. Line up each bunch in a flat row. Pierce near the base and top of the asparagus with a sharp skewer. Leave some space between the spears for easy grilling. Brush the asparagus with the olive oil. Season the asparagus with salt if you are not using tamari. Place on grill and cook 3-5 minutes on each side. Brush on extra oil if needed to prevent sticking. Asparagus should be tender and crunchy. Splash on lemon, if desired
- This asparagus recipe goes well with rosemary and thyme. Add ½ teaspoon each of fresh rosemary (chopped) and fresh thyme (chopped) to the oil.
- If an outdoor grill is not an option, a well-seasoned ridged grill can be used. Cook the asparagus over medium high heat.
The Perfect Organic Ingredients and Cookware
Asparagus, mushrooms and tomatoes: summer grilled veggie platter via photopin (license)
Asparagus on grill: grilled asparagus via photopin (license)
Grilled asparagus: lightly grilled asparagus via photopin (license)
Asparagus in pan on grill: Parillada de Verduras via photopin (license)
Steaming asparagus on grill: Hot on the grill via photopin (license)