I don’t know about you but marinated shish kabobs are a favorite of mine. What is more, with the abundance of seasonal vegetables you can cater this recipe to your liking.
These easy to make kabobs will satisfy both vegan and carnivores alike. The colorful and impressive presentation is sure to add a festive touch to your picnic or BBQ feast.
Now these vegan kabobs are absolutely delicious! And as an additional benefit, the tasty marinated vegetables give you an abundance of vitamins and nutrients.
Complement the kabobs with tofu for extra flavor plus supplementary calcium and protein.
Serve the vegan kabobs by themselves, over rice or quinoa. Enjoy!
Oh, and if you’re having trouble finding special ingredients try:
- 4-5 small new potatoes, cut in half
- 2 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 medium yellow squash, cut in half lengthwise
- ½-1 large onion, cut into ½ inch thick pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch strips
- 1 medium yellow or red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch strips
- 5-8 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, quartered
- 1 (14-ounce) package firm tofu, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white cooking wine
- 2 TBLS tamari or soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- Himalayan salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small pot, parboil the potatoes; cover with 2 inches of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 7-10 minutes or until just tender. Do not overcook; they will finish cooking on the grill
- If using bamboo skewers, soak in water for 2 hours prior to using. Soaking reduces charring
- Drain tofu and wrap in a towel. Place a heavy item, like a plate, on top. Allow to sit for 15 minutes, pressing out excess liquid
- In a large bowl, combine ingredients for marinade. Stir until well combined
- Add prepared vegetables and tofu to marinade mixture. Carefully stir to coat all vegetables. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight
- Thread vegetables and tofu alternately on skewers. Grill for 3-5 minutes; turn vegetables over, brush generously with extra marinade. Grill for another 3 to 5 minutes until done. Serve
- You may substitute dill weed with Dijon mustard or basil (omit liquid smoke). Also, 1/8 cup of red wine vinegar and 1/8 cup unsweetened apple juice is a good substitute for white cooking wine.
Uncooked vegetable kabobs:
eddiejdf via photopin cc
Kabobs on grill: Stigs via photopin cc
Vegan kabobs over rice:
steve loya via photopin cc
Colorful vegan kabobs: churl via photopin cc
Vegan shish kabobs: punctuated via photopin cc