A comfort food that’s good for you. Now what more could you ask for? Even Dr. Oz recommends similar recipes for healthy Mozzarella sticks.
On the other hand, this version is unlike others.
These Mozzarella sticks are baked and don’t have the extra fat and calories that you can do without.
Serve as a snack with a favorite marinara or pizza sauce or serve with a savored soup like Old Fashioned Tomato Bisque Soup.
- * ½ pound Mozzarella cheese, cut into sticks (organic vegan cheese can also be used)
- * 2 eggs
- * 2 teaspoons basil
- * 1 teaspoon oregano
- * 1-2 teaspoons garlic powder, to taste
- * ½ teaspoon Himalayan or rock salt
- * 2 cups bread crumbs, finely crushed
- * ½ cup flour (whole wheat, almond or rice)
- * 1-2 TBLS extra virgin olive oil
- To save time, prepare the cheese a day before cooking. Cut the cheese into sticks, about the size of a Mozzarella stick cut in half. Place the sticks in the freezer overnight
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C)
- Oil a large baking pan
- In a small bowl, beat eggs. Set aside
- In another bowl, mix the flour, salt and spices
- Place the bread crumbs is a separate bowl. Make sure the crumbs are very small in size for easier breading
- Dip the frozen cheese sticks into the flour, then the egg and then the bread crumb mixture. Make sure that the cheese sticks are well coated, otherwise the cheese will escape and make a mess
- Place the breaded cheese sticks on the baking pan. Lightly brush oil on each piece
- Bake for 2 minutes on one side. Carefully turn over with tongs. Cook another 2 minutes. Watch closely, the cheese can melt very fast. Allow to cool for 2 minutes
- Serve with your favorite marinara or pizza sauce (warmed). You can also serve with a healthy ranch type sauce
- Diet Type: Vegan
- Diet Tags: Reduced Fat, High Protein
- Culinary Tradition: Italian
Cooking Utensils to Make Life Easier