The Healthy Way to Quit Smoking Cigarettes
Do you want to quit smoking cigarettes? Did you know that each cigarette you smoke takes 8 minutes off your life? That is a lot of time in a month or year that is taken away from you and your family.
Did you know that cigarettes contain over 4000 known toxins? On top of that, 69 of the toxins are carcinogenic!
Any, I repeat, any one of these toxins can kill you in high doses.
We all know that nicotine is deadly. However, the massive chemicals in cigarettes are a lot more than life threatening.
Note: There are links within this post that we can earn a commission on. This is how we keep our site free for you! So we really appreciate you purchasing through our links.
Equally, both nicotine and the chemicals found in cigarettes are extremely addictive.
Yes, you’ve heard it before, nicotine is more addictive than heroin. But did you know that the chemicals in cigarettes are by far More addicting? And the longer you smoke, the harder it is to quit.
So do yourself a favor, quit as soon as possible. Your addiction grows stronger everyday!!
If you’re like most smokers you have tried to quit at least once. Right?
Let me guess, you are VERY hard on yourself when you try to quit but do not succeed. But let me tell you right now, it’s the addiction talking. It is NOT your lack of will power. So never give up trying! And when you try, give yourself some brownie points instead of feeling that you let yourself down. Attitude is KEY. And remember, each time you try, you are closer to quitting!
You probably already know that cigarettes have a psychological, physical, social and habitual hold on you, period. Cigarettes are every addiction you can think of rolled into one! Yes, cigarettes are a monkey on your back. No, Let me rephrase that. Cigarettes are one big ugly ape clinging onto your back and draining all your life source. So keep in mind, there is not just one addiction to kick, but several.
But I have faith in You. People quit everyday!
How to Quit Smoking
In order to quit smoking cigarettes you have to address all your addictions! One by one, or all at once. Personally, I find cold-turkey the best method. As well, using several therapies that focus on each addiction is extremely helpful.
However, if you’re not keen on going cold turkey you can follow the below suggestions. Whatever works! I just want you to be successful. Whether you choose to go cold turkey or slow but sure, a healthy detox diet that focuses on certain herbs and foods will help cleanse the system. Eventually cigarettes are something your body will no longer crave.
But as I said, cold turkey is my preferred method to quit smoking cigarettes. Why extend the cravings which make it easier to give in to the addiction?
Healthy Detox Diet and a Superfood Guide
To help you quit smoking you need to begin with a 3 day cleansing diet. Drink plenty of organic fresh fruit and vegetable juices plus miso soup to get rid of the nicotine acid that has built up in the system. A healthy detox diet should also consist of a lot of organic vegetable proteins. Drink a cup of green tea every day to help get rid of body carcinogens. Green magma is also very helpful.
Now I’m not suggesting that you go on a fast.
Just start flushing the body of toxins with plenty of organic fresh fruit and vegetable juice.
Keep in mind that when you fast, the toxins leave the body quickly.
If you have been smoking a long time, there will be way to many toxins leaving the body all at once. A fast during the first stage of detox can be very dangerous for some people. Usually it’s best to consult with a healthcare specialist before changing your diet to extremes. Be safe and sensible.
After your 3 day cleanse, go on a fresh foods only diet for 4 to 5 days. Today, this cleanse is similar to a raw food diet. Include magnesium rich foods like organic dark leafy vegetables, sea vegetables, whole grains and legumes. As well, eat an ample supply of alkaline foods such as organic carrots, celery and citrus fruits. Alkaline foods help with nicotine cravings and flush the body of toxins.
Continue on a healthy clean diet. Eat only organic and non-GMO foods. Stay away from real heavy foods that seem to always trigger you to smoke.
PLEASE, avoid foods that intensify cravings like sugar, coffee and junk food.
As well, stay away from oxalic acid-forming foods such as cooked spinach and chocolate (sorry).
If you love chocolate then think about how wonderful it will taste after you quit smoking.
Are you Ready to Quit Smoking?
Please say yes! Here are some superfoods that can really help with your goal to quit smoking.
- Burdock root and Red Clover cleanses the bloodstream by flushing out toxins
- Stellaria media ( Chickweed): Accelerates healing and soothes mucous membranes
- Ginger Syrup : Enhances and soothes digestion, calms the nerves and reduces nausea. Use to sweeten your tea
- Gotu Kola: Reverses many of the harmful effects of nicotine; improves blood circulation in the body and improves memory (when you quit smoking, it can affect your memory and sensory perception).
- Green Magma: Contains potent antioxidants that assists in repairing damaged cells, helps with detoxification, enhances the immune system and promotes energy. It is high in phytonutrients such as vitamins, minerals, enzymes, amino acids, protein, chlorophyll, carotenoids and flavonoids
- Flax seed oil for essential fatty acids (EFA’s): Protects against cancerous cells, enhances the brain and nervous system, calm the nerves, strengthens cardiovascular health and helps stabilize blood glucose levels
Getting What you Need to Help You Quit Smoking
Alvita Organic Herbal Tea Red Clover
Alvita Teas Burdock Root Tea, Organic
Gota Kola Gotu Kola Tea FREE Infuser Flavoured With A Hint Of Natural Lemon
Chickweed Liquid Extract, Organic Chickweed (Stellaria Media) Tincture
Fresh Flax Oil or Flaxseed
Ginger Wonder Syrup
Quit Smoking Cigarettes | Herb Guide
Many herbs can be quite helpful when you are trying to quit smoking.
Here are some of the primary herbs that will ease the journey!
- Skullcap or Oats to help cravings
- Evening primrose for essential EFAs
- Ginseng to rebuild the nervous system
- Turmeric to neutralize cancer-causing cells
- Licorice, an antioxidant that assists with balancing blood sugar
- Lobelia tea, 2-3 cups a day. It is one of the best herbs to help with cravings. Can substitute tincture
- Valerian to calm the nerves. FYI please use sparingly; extended use may cause drowsiness, thinking problems or insomnia. Valerian slows down the central nervous system, do not take with any medications.
Organic Herbs and More to help the Journey
Lifestyle Support Guide during a Healthy Detox Diet
As you know, cigarettes are also a physiological and social addition.
If you want to be successful at quitting, you need to get rid of the triggers that make you crave cigarettes.
The best time to start reconditioning the body/mind is RIGHT NOW!
Get Rid of Triggers
Do whatever it takes to get rid of the triggers so you are on the path to being smoke free!
- Chew on licorice root or cloves to help cravings and ease the oral fixation
- Find a friend who might want to quit smoking cigarettes with you. Support is always very helpful
- Get rid of All things related to cigarettes or tobacco like cigarette cases, ashtrays, pipes, lighters, matches, etc.
- Start exercising, it rids the body of toxins a lot faster, keeps your mind off smoking, eases stress and calms the nerves
- Do deep breathing exercises for added body oxygen when you feel the urge to smoke; breathe deeply for at least 4 minutes. The craving will usually goes away after 4 minutes.
- Cut a straw the size of a cigarette and smoke it like a cigarette when you get a craving. This also helps you relax and it keeps the hand busy
- Stay clear away from cigarette smoking environments such as the smokers break area at work, bars, a smoker’s home (friends and family), etc.
Special Note & Update
It’s that time of year and many people have been thinking about quitting. Patches and E cigarettes are hitting all time sales. If this works for you, by all means GO For It!
But, I personally feel that there’s not been enough information about e-cigarettes and their side effects. The widespread reviews about its safety are mostly from the manufacturers themselves. I have been meaning to do an article on the side effects of e-cigarettes, but it is one of those type of subjects I have put on the back burner. Hey, spare me some time, please send it my way, I would love to do more research on the matter. 🙂
Now patches, I just don’t get them.. Some people claim that they work but…. the way I look at it, You are trying to quit, right. Right? Quit nicotine, the chemicals, right? Well, what are patches made of. I feel it just prolongs the agony. Plus, your cravings come from nicotine and the numerous chemicals. If you want to get rid of the cravings, then get rid of the problem not add to it. But, this is only my opinion.
Please drop me a line. Let me know your successes or shortcomings. Yes, they are only shortcomings. You will Quite.
Oh, I forgot to mention. Hot bathes also help rid the body of that nasty toxic crap that is polluting and killing your body rather quickly.
Note on Healthy Diet Detox and Exercise Regimes to Quit Smoking
It is highly recommended that you consult a physician, a health professional or dietary expert before starting any healthy diet detox or exercise routine. This article is not intended as medical advice.
Featured Picture: J.G. in S.F. via photopin cc
Death: Nina Matthews Photography via photopin cc
Toxins in Cigarettes: Headworth & Associates; Sewer gas in cigarettes?!
Old poster: classic_film via photopin cc
Imported green tea in can: Takazo_ via photopin cc
Sushi: hoveringdog via photopin cc
Licorice: jkwoo via photopin cc
Flower: medivacrn via photopin cc
No smoking sign: weegeebored via photopin cc
Vegan Feast: Vegan Feast Catering via photopin cc