Now is a good time to start a small detox, after indulging over the holidays and right before spring. Here is a toxin-eliminating detox salad to help get you back on track. This detox salad is full of dark leafy greens, fresh vegetables and a healthy dressing.
Here is a breakdown of the detox ingredients:
Kale: High in antioxidants, chlorophyll, and vitamins A, C, and K. Helps remove chemical toxins naturally.
Spinach: High in iron, calcium, protein, chlorophyll, and vitamins A, C, E and K. Helps eliminate toxins that can cause cancer and also beautifies the skin making it soft and smooth.
Arugula: Also known as the Salad Rocket. High in folic acid, iron, magnesium, folate, copper, and vitamins A, C and K. Helps maintain a healthy body weight, eliminate toxic cancer-causing elements in the body and may protect against cataracts and age-related macular degeneration.
Parsley: High in iron, folate, chlorophyll, and vitamins A, C, and K. Assists with kidney stimulation to flush out toxins. Also a great blood purifier that removes heavy metals.
Cilantro and Coriander (cilantro seed): A good source of thiamin, zinc, riboflavin, niacin, folate, calcium, iron, pantothenic acid, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper, manganese, and vitamins A, C, E, K and B6. Helps remove heavy metals, regulate sugar levels, prevent urinary infections, reduce bad cholesterol, decrease mood hormonal swings and protect against Salmonella.
Avocado (or Avocado oil): A rich source of carotenoids, fiber, pantothenic acid, copper, folate, potassium, and vitamins K, B6, E and C. Also known as the Alligator Pear, has anti-inflammatory properties, supports cardiovascular health, promotes blood sugar regulation, reduces levels of bad cholesterol, lower risk of stroke and heart disease, and helps prevent cancer in the prostate, skin and mouth.
Lemons: High in potassium, iron, magnesium, calcium, folate, glutathione, and vitamin C. It is an excellent detox food. Contains more than 20 anti-cancer compounds, helps eliminate toxins from the organs (especially the liver), helps combat the effects of toxic pollution and assist in repairing cell damage.
Garlic: A good source of manganese, copper, selenium, phosphorus, calcium, and vitamins C, B6 and B1. Helps cleanse the body of harmful bacteria, intestinal parasites and virus’s (especially from the intestines and blood). Also helps detox toxic buildup in the arteries, lowers blood pressure and cleanse the respiratory tract by expelling mucous buildup. It is high in antioxidant and anti-cancer properties.
Basil: Rich in magnesium, iron, potassium, calcium, antioxidants, phenolic compounds, flavonoids, anthocyanins, protein, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, and vitamins A, C K, E, and B6. Prevents damage caused by free radicals in the liver, heart and brain. Also may help prevent harmful effects of aging and reduce inflammation.
Turmeric: High in curcumin, manganese, iron, copper, potassium, and vitamin B6. It is currently one of the world’s healthiest foods in the health community. Epidemiological studies have linked the frequent use of the herb to lower rates of lung, breast, prostate, and colon cancer. Use for centuries in China and India for its anti-inflammatory properties to treat hemorrhage, menstrual difficulties, colic, flatulence, bloody urine, jaundice, and chest pain. It also has antifungal, antiviral, antibacterial, anticarcinogenic and antimutagenic properties. Moreover, it is a natural liver detoxifier.
Cumin: High in iron, manganese, copper, calcium, phosphorus, and vitamin B1. Good for energy production and the metabolism because of its high iron content. Keeps immune system healthy, helps the digestive tract, and has anti-carcinogenic properties that may help prevent cancer. It also helps detox the liver and stomach.
Note: This article is not a substitute for seeking medical advice from your health care professional.
- 1 cup kale, chopped fine
- 3 cups spinach, cleaned well and lightly torn into bite size pieces
- 2 cups arugula, lightly torn into bite size pieces
- ½ cup chives (optional), chopped
- ½ cup parsley, chopped fine
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped fine
- 1-2 avocados, cubed
- * ½ cup avocado or extra-virgin olive oil
- * 3 TBLS fresh lemon juice
- * 3 cloves garlic, minced
- * 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest (optional)
- * Rock or Himalayan salt, to taste
- * Black pepper, to taste
- * ¾-1 teaspoon of herb, your choice (cumin, turmeric or basil)
- Clean all greens. Make sure you clean the spinach well, for it has a tendency to have a lot of dirt.
- Allow greens to dry on a towel. Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the detox salad dressing
- With your hands, gently tear the greens in to bite size pieces
- Cube the avocado then gently stir into detox salad until combined
- Drizzle with detox salad dressing
- Garnish with edible flowers, organic black olives,nuts or halved cherry tomatoes. Enjoy!
- Mince garlic
- Combine oil and lemon juice. Add garlic. Stir in choice of herb; (cumin, turmeric or basil)
- The detox salad dressing gets better in time, allowing the herbs and garlic to intermingle with the oil.
- Gently stir or mix before drizzling onto detox salad
- Diet type: Vegan
- Diet tags: Gluten Free & Raw