Healthy homemade cinnamon rolls!
These homemade cinnamon rolls have an enticing aroma and swirls of spices and nuts. They are made with wholesome ingredients and mouthwatering goodness.
These cinnamon rolls are easy to make and a weekend or holiday favorite for all to savor and enjoy.Make plenty, they go fast and also freeze well.
- * 1 packet active dry yeast
- * ½ teaspoon honey
- * 2 TBLS lukewarm water
- * 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or ½ cup coconut milk & ½ cup almond milk or whole milk
- * ¼ cup honey
- * ¼ teaspoon rock or Himalayan salt
- * 2 ½ TBLS extra-virgin olive oil
- * 1 egg, beaten
- * 3 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- * ¾-1 cup honey
- * 1 TBLS molasses
- * ¼ - ½ cup organic butter, softened
- * 2 TBLS cinnamon, more or less to taste
- * 1 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped (optional)
- * ½ - 1 cup raisins (optional)
- Pour yeast and water into a large mixing bowl. Let rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Add honey, almond milk (or other preference), oil, eggs and salt to the yeast mixture. Gently stir until well combined
- With a wooden spoon, stir in flour ½ cups at a time. When dough is too difficult to stir with spoon, mix in flour by hand. Continue to add flour until the right consistency. The dough should be firm. Continue kneading for 15 minutes
- Form dough into a ball and cover lightly with oil. Place dough into the bowl
- Cover dough with a hand towel and place in a warm area. Let rise until double in bulk, about, about 1 hour
- Punch down, cover and let rise for another hour
- Punch down a third time and let rest for 10 minutes
- On a well-floured surface, roll dough into a big rectangle, about ¼ inch thick
- In a small pan, slowly melt butter
- Use a pastry brush, spread butter onto dough, making sure to cover the rectangle. Drizzle with honey and molasses evenly. Sprinkle on cinnamon then nuts and raisins if desired
- Roll up the rectangle as tightly as you can. Pinch the seam together
- With the seam facing down, cut the dough into 15-18 equal pieces, approximately 2 inches wide. Place the rolls into a lightly oiled baking dish. Allow dough to rise 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C)
- Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- Diet type: Vegetarian