Kombucha tea is very high in probiotics. Consumed for over 2000 years to improve health and help fight chronic disease.
Kombucha tea is believed to improve immunity and digestion. It is also high in anti-oxidants, enzymes and amino acids.
This homemade organic kombucha tea is easy to make, healthier and a lot cheaper than the store bought version.
- 6 quarts (24 cups) filtered water
- 8 bags strong organic black tea (may substitute green tea after the 1st batch, make a black tea version every 10th batch)
- 2 cups organic raw sugar (may substitute honey ‘use ¾ cup’ after the 1st batch, make a raw sugar version every 10th batch)
- 1 organic kombucha mushroom or starter culture (SCOBY)
- 1 cup organic kombucha tea
- 1 gallon glass jar or several glass mason jars (16 oz.)
- Wash hands thoroughly especially when handling the kombucha mushrooms. Do not use antibacterial soap for it can kill the good bacteria in the culture
- Wash a gallon glass jar with very hot water to sterilize. You can also put the jar in a large pot of boiling water for about 10 minutes. Set aside until ready to use
- In a large pot, bring the filtered water to a boil. Add tea bags and brew to desired taste. Make sure to place a lid on the pot to prevent the medicinal vapors from escaping. Remove tea bags
- Turn heat off and add sweetener. Make sure sweetener is completely dissolved
- Add 1 cup kombucha tea from previous batches
- Add the kombucha (SCOBY) culture when the brewed tea is room temperature (around 75ºF/24ºC). Water/tea that is too hot will kill the culture
- Place the mixture in a gallon glass jar. Cover the jar with a plate or dish towel to keep dust and bugs out. You can also secure the towel tightly with a rubber band
- Put the jar somewhere warm and dark where it won't be disturbed. Temperature should be at least 70ºF (21ºC) but 86ºF (30ºC) is best. Cooler temperatures will make it grow slowly. Also, temperatures below 70ºF can cause unwanted organisms to start growing
- Leave the jar for 7 to 11 days. The time will depend on how sweet or sour you like your kombucha and the temperature in the room. In the summer I can often just leave it for 8 days, in the winter I leave it for approximately 12 days
- Note: Sugars and black tea are best for producing glutathiones which is good for detoxing the liver. Using honey can cause the kombucha mushrooms to lose their potency. You can also use green tea if desired.
- Diet Type: Vegan
- Diet Tags: Dairy-Free, Gluten Free