These honey baked apples will satisfy your sweet tooth without making you feel guilty. Everyone will anxiously wait for this fine honeyed treats to finish baking.
In truth, the heavenly aroma of spiced apples will fill your home with a wonderful warm sense of comfort.
I used to only make this recipe during the holidays! But I always get a craving for this wonderful dessert during the rest of the year. It is so good!
There is something about honey baked apples that warms my heart. So, treat yourself to this perfectly sweet dish any and every-time you get a craving. 🙂
Serve with maple yogurt, ice cream or crème anglaise custard sauce.
- * 4 baking apples (see notes)
- * 1 TBL fresh lemon juice
- * 1/3 cup dried currants
- * 3 TBLES pecans or walnuts, chopped
- * ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- * 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- * 1 TBLE butter, unsalted
- * ½ -2/3 cup apple cider, unfiltered
- * ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla
- * ½ - 1 cup maple yogurt, ice cream or crème anglaise custard sauce
- Special equipment (optional): an apple corer will save tons of time
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C)
- Core apples with corer or by hand with a melon baller
- Cut a very thin slice from the bottom of each apple so they stand upright
- Place apples in a lightly oiled 8x8x2-inch glass baking dish or 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish
- Mix currents with ¼ cup apple cider, nuts, cinnamon, nutmeg (optional)and vanilla
- Fill cored apples with 2-3 tablespoons of current mixture
- Pour the remaining apple cider around apples in dish
- Drizzle honey over current filling and apples
- Put a small piece of butter on top of each apple
- Cover baking dish with lid (or foil)
- Bake apples until slightly tender for 40 minutes. Remove lid or foil. Bake another 15-30 minutes, (depending on type of apple) until tender but not falling apart. Baste apples with juice in pan (using a baster) every 10-25 minutes to keep moist
- Serve warm with dollops of yogurt, vanilla ice cream or crème anglaise custard sauce
- Best baking apples: Braeburn, Jonagold, Gala, Honeycrisp, Pink Lady, Mutsu (Crispin) or McIntosh
- Diet Type: Vegetarian
- Diet Tags: Low Calorie, Gluten Free
Save Time with an Apple Corer
Glass Baking Dishes