The perfect fall harvest bread to enjoy for breakfast or afternoon with a nice cup of coffee or tea.
This dark and moist bread is very hearty as well as extremely healthy. It is high in fiber and loaded with potassium. Honey, date and fig bread is ideal for a comforting healthy treat.
Special Note: Honey, Date & Fig bread can be enjoyed anytime of year!
Serve warm with butter or top with cream cheese for added protein and calcium.
- * 1 vanilla bean
- * 1 cup pitted dates, chopped
- * 1 cup fig (dried or fresh), chopped
- * ½ cup nuts (walnuts or almonds), chopped
- * 4 TBLS unsalted butter, room temperature
- * 1 ½ teaspoon aluminum free baking soda
- * 3/4 cup boiling water
- * ½ cup honey
- * 2 eggs
- * ½ teaspoon aluminum free baking powder
- * ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- * ¾ cup brown rice flour or coconut flour
- * 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- * ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat an oven to 325ºF (160ºC)
- Grease and flour a 1-lb. loaf pan or 8x4 inch baking pan
- Cut the vanilla bean in half lengthwise. Scrape seeds from the pod into a saucepan.
- Add vanilla pod, figs, dates and water. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until figs and dates have absorbed all the liquid. Remove and discard the pod. Allow the mixture to cool
- Place honey and butter in a medium sized bowl. Mix well until butter is in small pieces. Beat in eggs. Add fig/date mixture.
- Set aside ¼ cup flour. Fold in the remaining flour.
- Slowly stir in nuts, baking powder and soda, salt, cinnamon and ¼ cup flower. Do not over mix.
- Let batter rest for 10 minutes then spoon the batter into prepared pan
- Bake for 45 – 50 minutes or until toothpick poked in the center comes out clean
- Cool for at least 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to finish cooling. Bread will last in the refrigerator for up to a week. Wrap in airtight plastic to keep fresh and moist
- Diet Type: Vegetarian
- Diet Tags: Low Calorie
Perfect Pans for Baking Bread
Nice Coffee & Tea Sets