Flu and cold season is here. Fight the ‘BUGS” this year with immune building superfoods and herbs.
Here are a few immune building suggestions to get you started:
- Add antioxidant rich fruits and vegetables to your daily diet, it strengthens your ability to fight disease and infection
- Aloe Vera Juice: Ideal for the mid-day crash even when taken in the morning. Increases metabolism and energy, detoxifies and burns fat naturally. Buy only organic without added Irish moss (very bitter). There is even flavored Aloe Vera juice on the market
- Yogurt & Kefir: A probiotic food that stimulates the immune system. Rich in magnesium for slow release energy. High in glycogen and calcium, perfect for replenishing the system. Note: Yogurt and kefir are also very low in lactose due to the fermentation
- Goji Berries: Known as the “longevity fruit, has unique immune enhancing properties. High in vitamin C and zinc
- Blueberries and raspberries are very high in antioxidantd, perfect for immune building
- Matcha is a nutrient-rich green tea and is usually sold in powder form. Matcha has up to seventeen times the antioxidants of wild blueberries, and seven times more than dark chocolate
- Licorice is a good shield if your immune system is over responding to the flu
- Cinnamon is a powerful antimicrobial agent and anti-inflammatory. Some experts feel that it can kill E. coli and other harmful bacteria.
- Cloves are said to be a mild and safe anesthetic for sore throats and toothaches. It is also known as a good anti-inflammatory
- 1 ¼ cup coconut or almond milk (organic)
- ¼ cup (2 ounces) Goji berry juice
- ½ cup yogurt or kefir (organic)
- 1 banana (fresh or frozen)
- ¼ cup blueberries or raspberries (optional)
- 1 TBSP agave nectar, honey or maple syrup (optional)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 TBSP Aloe Vera
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- ½ teaspoon cloves (optional)
- 1-2 teaspoons Maca Force
- 4 ice cubes
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and mix on low until well blended. Pour into desired glasses. Decorate with fresh mint sprig or berry of choice
- Diet type: Vegan
- Diet tags: Low Calorie, High Protein, Gluten Free
Maca or “Peruvian ginseng.” has been used for centuries and has been long valued as a superfood. Maca is known for many health benefits: Increased energy, to promote sexual function, relieves menstrual problems and menopause including mood swings and pain. clear acne and blemishes. increase in mental energy and focus, helps balance mood swings and is rich in vitamin B vitamins, C, and E. Maca also contains calcium, iron, zinc, phosphorous, magnesium and amino acids.
Note: There have not been intense scientific studies on Maca.
Goji Berries have been used as a traditional Chinese medicine for centuries. Recent studies suggest that the ancient health claims may ring true. This amazing antioxidant berry is said to help improve feeling of well-being, protect from UV radiation, is beneficial for eye health and has cancer fighting properties.
The benefits of aloe vera are claimed to be many such as longevity, aids in digestion, increases metabolism, improves circulation, regulates blood pressure, reduces inflammation, impedes the growth of cancerous tumors and strengthens the immune system.
From individual quick mixers to all out blenders:
Disclaimer: The statements enclosed herein have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The products and information mentioned in this article are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Information and statements made are for education purposes and are not intended to replace the advice of a healthcare professional. Before starting any diet (including a sugar detox), seek expert advice.