Although there is a world of possibilities, with infused waters you need to keep it simple. Too many flavors are a bit overbearing and can make your water taste bitter or just plain odd.
This strawberry infused water recipe is both refreshing and a wonderful change from plain water. It is simple to make and can be made a day ahead of time for special occasions.
Juicy strawberries give each glass a lovely surge of color and adds vitamins. Now the lemon balm adds a nice revitalizing yet calming effect on the nerves.
Lemon balm and strawberries are the perfect match for infused water.
Here’s to Healthy Living
Both strawberries and lemon balm are very “good for you” foods. They are perfect for getting your spring and summer a jump start on healthy living.
Strawberries are called ‘the queen of fruits” for good reason. In truth, I consider them a superfood that energizes and balances your body. Here’s the lowdown:
- High in Fiber
- Supports eye health
- Reduce inflammation
- Anti-aging properties
- Helps burn excess fat
- Packed with antioxidants
- Boost short term memory
- High in fiber & low in calories
- High in flavonoids that lower cardiovascular disease
- Promotes blood flow and oxygen good for weight loss
- Contains potassium, vitamin K & magnesium for good bone health
If you have never tried lemon balm, I have to say that you’ve been missing out. Lemon balm and peppermint are my two favorite mints. It adds a nice lemon tang to whatever you are making. I often substitute lemon balm for lemon. It is fabulous in beverages, desserts like cheesecake, vinaigrettes or even pesto.
The health benefits of lemon balm are many:
- Reduces anxiety
- Rich in antioxidants
- Contains antibacterial & antiviral properties
- High in calcium, phosphorus, Vitamins A & C
- Reduce itching & redness from infections and eczema
- Treat insect bites and stings (ancient Roman & Greek remedy)
- Used for insomnia, digestive issues, anxiety and to strengthen the immune system
If you want to grow lemon balm in your garden, here is an easy guideline:
Making Infused Water
To make infused water, all you need to do is slice the fruit and herbs you want and place them in filtered water.
You can drink it immediately, but the longer you infuse the fruit and herbs the more potent it will become.
For full flavor, I suggest infusing for 24 hours or overnight in the refrigerator. The fruit will stay fresh and the flavor will be more intense.
Infused water is the ideal drink for travel or for work. Today, you can even find an array of insulated bottles that will keep your drink cold.
For health, purchase a glass water bottle or a plastic one that does not contain BPS’s or heavy metals.
- 32 ounces (4 cups) filtered water
- 15-17 strawberries, hulled and sliced thin
- 8 fresh lemon balm leaves, bruised to release the plant's essential oils (may substitute 3-4 bags lemon balm tea)
- If using tea instead of fresh lemon balm: Boil filtered water then add tea and seep for 3 minutes. Do not seep to long; you want just a hint of lemon balm flavor. Allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Add fresh strawberries to the filtered water and infuse at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Suggested infusion is overnight
- You can strain the water after it has infused overnight. Sometime strawberries lose their color. Just add fresh sliced strawberries before serving
- Serve chilled. Enjoy!
- Lemongrass can be used instead of lemon balm.
Infused Water Containers| BPA-free
Hiware® Glass Water Carafe and Drink Infuser with Stainless Steel Filter Lid, 50 Oz / 1.5 L Borosilicate Glass Iced Tea Pitcher, Create Your Own Naturally Flavored Fruit Infused Water, Juice, Iced Tea, Lemonade & Sparkling Beverages
Featured picture: alfarman via photopin cc
Splashes of water with strawberries and lemon balm: Ashelia via photopin cc
Close up: Mrs Mac2007 via photopin cc
In pitcher: Mrs Mac2007 via photopin cc
Strawberries in ramekin cups: mbgrigby via photopin cc
Lemon balm: sophiea via photopin cc
Strawberries and lemon balm in gallon jar: katykash via photopin cc
Lemon balm and lemon infused water: Angelbattle bros Tea with a summery touch. My wife was inspired by a friend. via photopin (license)