Healthy, wealthy & wise they say. These zucchini chips are just that! Good for you, cost effective and a smart choice for a snack any time of day.
Easy to make plus the whole family will love them. The problem is, no-one wants to wait until they are all done. Since zucchini chips are a little time intense, I suggest that you have everyone pitch in to get them done sooner. FYI: It ‘s not the washing and slicing that takes time. It is the watching and waiting by the oven for them to get crisp. Trust me, they are SO much better crisp. Don’t take them out until they are done.
Oh yes, make extra, because everyone will assuredly want a lot more.
Zucchini chips are great for school lunches, after school snacks or as a side with your favorite soup or sandwich. They also go well with Tabouli for a Raw Food Diet.
- 2 medium zucchinis, organic
- A touch of Himalayan or rock salt (fine grind)
- Black pepper, to taste
- Herb of choice (optional); rosemary, thyme or oregano
- Extra virgin olive oil (organic) for brushing, approximately 1 TBLS
- ¼ cup fresh Parmesan or Romano cheese, grated
- ¼ cup plain whole wheat bread crumbs, crushed into very small pieces
- Preheat oven to Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C)
- Slice the zucchini (unpeeled) into 1/16 inch slices or larger (less than ¼ inches thick). You can use a sharp knife, mandolin slicer or food processor. Once sliced, place the zucchini on a kitchen towel or paper towel, pat dry to absorb moisture.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet. Place one layer of zucchini on the sheet. Lightly brush oil on the zucchini. Add salt, pepper and preferred spice. Bake for 10 minutes then flip over and bake another 10 minutes or until they are crisp to your liking. If a crisper chip is desired, use a wire rack instead. Serve warm and enjoy!
- In a small bowl mix ¼ cup cheese or choice and ¼ cup plain dry bread crumbs. Add your spices and dip the zucchini in the mixture before placing on baking sheet.
- Diet type: Vegetarian
- Diet tags: Reduced Fat
- * Serve the zucchini chips with marinara sauce, pesto or a favorite tapenade topping such as roasted garlic or bell pepper strips with ground olives