Everyone loves oven baked bread. There is nothing better than the smell of fresh baked bread in the air while everyone anticipates that first slice.
This bread is quick and easy to make. In fact, you will be delighted with the scrumptious results. It is wholesome and can be adapted to your liking. Why not bake a double batch, it freezes well and is great for future meals?
When done, apply generous amounts of butter, honey or eat it steaming hot by itself or with a nice bowl of fresh soup.
- *¼ cup water
- *1 package active dry yeast or 1 compressed cake
- *1 ¾ cup milk
- *3 TBLS butter
- *2 TBLs honey
- *5 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- *Sesame seeds (optional)
- * 1 egg white (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400’
- In a large bowl add warm water and stir in yeast. Let the yeast rest for about 10 minutes.
- Scald milk and add honey, butter and salt. Cool to lukewarm and then add the yeast.
- Add 2 ½ -3 cups of flour and mix until smooth. Continue adding flour a little at a time until you have soft dough.
- Turn onto lightly floured surface and knead until elastic and smooth.
- Place dough in lightly oiled bowl, cover with towel and put in a warm place.
- Allow dough to rise double in bulk, about 1 hour. Knead lightly then divide dough in half Form two loaves and place in oiled baking loaf pan preferably glass. Brush with butter and sesame seeds if desired. Egg whites (beaten) can be brushed on the top so the sesame seeds stick to the surface better. You can also shape dough into rolls if preferred.
- Cover the loaves and set in a warm area. Allow to rise for about 1 hour or until double in bulk.
- Bake loaves for 30-40 minutes or until top is golden brown. If making rolls, bake for 15-20 minutes.
- This recipe adapts well to different types of whole wheat flour. For a lighter loaf, substitute 1 cup organic rice flour. For a heavier loaf, use a coarse bread flour. You can also add a touch (about 1/2 cup) of bran or sprouted wheat berries for a nice texture.
- Diet Type: Vegetarian
Baking Loaf Pans for Bread
Hey, let’s make life easier!