A fabulous way to serve your fall harvest squash. This recipe is delightful and perfect for an autumn night.
It has a flair of Chinese tradition that is sure to please everyone. Serve with fluffy jasmine rice, steamed vegetables or maybe some egg rolls for a festive occasion.
Special Note: This dish is also fabulous served in the summertime. Ideal for a picnic! Just prep the vegetables and noodles (or rice) ahead of time and roast on the BBQ grill!
- * 1 ½ pound organic extra-firm tofu
- * 1 ½ teaspoon sea salt, to taste
- * 3 cups of squash of choice, cleaned and cubed
- * 1 ½ TBLS rice wine vinegar
- * 1 ½ TBLS organic miso (red miso is very tasty with this dish)
- * 1 ½ teaspoons honey or agave nectar
- * 1 ½ teaspoons sesame oil
- * 1 ½ teaspoon tamari
- * 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- * 1 ½ teaspoons olive oil
- * 4 quarts water (approximately, for cooking noodles)
- * 4-5 cups vegetable broth
- *12 ounces rice noodles
- * 3 TBLS organic miso
- * 3 TBLS rice wine vinegar
- * 3 teaspoons tamari
- * ½ cup yellow onions, sliced thin (optional)
- * 6 green onions, thinly sliced (reserve 2 for garnish)
- * 1 ½ teaspoon of sesame seeds (optional for garnish)
- * Optional vegetables: 1 cup snow peas, ½ cup carrots (thick strips)
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C)
- Carefully press the liquid out of the tofu with a plate or cutting board. Place to the side
- Chop squash into ¾ inch pieces making sure to remove the skin
- Place squash in an oiled baking dish. Drizzle olive oil over the top
- In a small bowl whisk miso, vinegar, tamari, sesame oil, honey and ginger
- Drizzle miso mixture over the squash. Roast squash for 7 minutes then turn over and roast another 7 minutes. Check often to make sure it does not burn. Remove from pan when the squash is caramelized lightly
- While roasting squash, bring water to a boil in a large pot. Shut off the heat then add rice noodles. Stir every minute or two. Watch carefully, they are easy to overcook. You want them slightly undercooked. Drain in colander and run cool water over noodles to prevent from cooking. Set aside. Note: If noodles are perfectly cooked to start, they’ll turn to mush when you stir fry them
- To make sauce add vegetable broth, 3 TBLS miso, 3 TBLS vinegar and 3 teaspoons tamari. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until miso is dissolved. Add green onions. Cook until onions are tender
- Oil a large saucepan. Cook carrots (if desired) until almost done. Cook tofu cubes, salt, yellow onions (optional), snow peas (optional) and garlic (optional) over medium high heat for 1-2 minutes. Add noodles and stir fry lightly until done
- To serve, separate noodles evenly into 6 bowls. Add squash on top of noodles then the tofu. Garnish each dish with green onions and sesame seeds (optional). Enjoy!
- Always use organic ingredients for optimum health
- Diet Type: Vegetarian
- Diet Tags: Low Calorie, High Protein, Gluten Free
- Culinary Tradition: Chinese
Stir Fry Cookery
Ain’t life Grand!
Chinese Serving Bowls
Organic Rice Noodles
Our Daily Rice Noodles! A World of Variety!