This savory mushroom and herb vegan gravy is to live for! Perfect over vegan mashed potatoes, biscuits or toast.
You can even try this fabulous gravy over brown rice, seitan, tofu, your favorite cooked grains or veggie burgers.
A savory gravy that is rich with earthy and aromatic herbs like rosemary, sage, thyme and garlic. It is then coupled with the musky taste of mushrooms.
A vegan gravy ideal for Thanksgiving, Christmas, a New Year’s feast or when you get a craving for mushroom gravy.
- * 4 cups organic vegetable broth
- * ½ cup organic flour (gluten free, brown rice or all-purpose)
- * 4 cups mushrooms, sliced (cremini, Shitake, button, portabella or a combo)
- * 1 medium onion, diced
- * 2 TBLS olive oil
- * 3-4 cloves garlic, minced (to taste)
- * 1 TBLS dried thyme
- * 2 teaspoons dried sage
- * 1½ TBLS fresh rosemary, chopped
- * ½ teaspoons rock or Himalayan salt, to taste
- * ½ - 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper, to taste
- * ½ cup organic dry white wine (chardonnay) or vegan red. Note: May substitute vegetable broth
- * 2 TBLS nutritional yeast (optional), a superfood!
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat
- Add onion and rosemary. Cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes
- Stir in mushrooms, sage, thyme, salt and pepper. Sauté for another 5 minutes
- Add wine and bring to a boil. Let the wine reduce for about 3 minutes
- In a large bowl, mix flour, nutritional yeast (optional) and 1 cup of vegetable broth. Whisk until flour is dissolved. Note: The nutritional yeast makes the gravy a tad creamier, plus adds an extra touch of savory flavor
- Add the remaining vegetable broth to the broth and flour mixture. Mix until well combined
- Add the vegetable broth mixture to the mushroom fusion. Bring to a slow boil then reduce heat to medium and cook 15-20 minutes. Stir often
- Add more salt and pepper if needed
- Serve with biscuits, toast or vegan mashed potatoes
- If super smooth vegan gravy is desired, blend the cooked mushroom mixture prior to adding the remaining vegetable broth (step 7)
- For a slight variation, add 1/2 cup baby spinach 5-7 minutes before the gravy is done.
- Diet Type: Vegan
Ingredients You Might Need (Buy in Bulk & Save)
Mountain Rose Herbs
Are you looking to stock your cupboards for the winter with fresh herbs and spices? You can find an array of medicinal herbs and spices at Mountain Rose Herbs. And for the strictest of herbal connoisseurs, you can feel confident in knowing that they are a certified organic processor through Oregon Tilth which is fully accredited with the USDA National Organic Program. Click on the pick below & you’ll see what I mean: