An easy to prepare Vegan Cranberry Sauce that can be made ahead of time. In fact, it is good for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Quite frankly, the cranberry sauce gets better with age.
What is more, this cranberry sauce is so simple and so delicious; you will never ever buy the store version again.
A cranberry sauce that is vibrant in color and large in taste, with a nice hint of aromatic cinnamon. Make plenty; this vegan cranberry sauce is a big hit with everyone!
Do you have kidney problems? Do you often get kidney infections? Quite frankly, they can be Very painful! Well, I used to. get infections often and it would oftentimes leave me doubled over. There was one time I actually passed out trying to stand up so I could call someone for help.The pain was really bad.
Through the years of painful kidney infections I found that the only thing that got rid of the infection was cranberries. Nothing, I mean nothing else ever worked. Plus the excruciating pain always persisted until the infection cleared up completely.
Now I am not talking about commercial cranberries that have very little nutritional value, I am referring to pure unadulterated cranberries. These amazing berries are best medicinally when fresh. But unless it’s around the holidays or you have some in the freezer, good luck finding cranberries during the off season. The next best thing is cranberry concentrate. But I must forewarn you, the concentrate is very bitter so mix it with organic apple juice so that it is palatable. Usually 50/50 is good. Avoid the sweetened juices that are high in sugar and contain just a little amount of cranberries.
However, add cranberries to your diet for a great preventative such as vegan cranberry sauce.
Numerous Health Benefits
Cranberries have been renowned for numerous heath benefits for many years. According to Health.com, cranberries are known as a heart helper that increases your HDL, is a brain booster, a diet aid and great for soothing the skin. Even Mother Earth Living, states that cranberries are a popular remedy for urinary tract infections. As well, the amazing berry may prevent the E. coli bacteria from attaching to the bladder lining and also help with deodorizing the urine.
Adding cranberries is a fabulous way to stay healthy, especially when the colder climates bring on many bugs. A great way to add cranberries to your diet is with Vegan Cranberry Sauce.
This recipe is vegan and uses organic agave nectar instead of honey. However, the agave nectar can be substituted with raw honey. Also, arrowroot powder is used as a thickener. I always avoid cornstarch because it often contains GMO corn. Other substitutes that work great as a thickener are gluten free: potato starch, guar gum, kuzu root starch and tapioca starch. These substitutes can also be used to thicken other sauces and gravies.
- 1 bag organic cranberries (12 oz.)
- ¾ cup filtered water
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 TBLS arrowroot powder
- 1/3 to ½ cup organic agave nectar
- Cinnamon to taste (optional)
- Rinse cranberries under cold water
- In a large pan; add cranberries and water. Bring to a slow boil then reduce heat
- Stir in orange juice and arrowroot powder. Mix until arrowroot has completely dissolved. Add agave nectar and cinnamon
- Bring to a slow boil once again and then reduce heat. Simmer until cranberries begin to ‘pop’, about 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat
- If chunky cranberry sauce is desired then place the sauce in a nice bowl and refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to really mingle and the cranberries to sweeten. Make sure to cover the cranberry sauce with a lid or parchment wax paper that is organically soy derived (plastic wrap is not very sustainable)
- If a smooth cranberry sauce is preferred, put sauce in a blender or food processor and blend on low-med speed until completely smooth. Cover and refrigerate
- Before serving, add a garnish such as orange or tangerine zest (optional)
- Note: This recipe is best made ahead of time. In fact, the sauce will keep for about a week. So make it in advance and lessen your load during the holidays.
Save on Amazon!
Easy Cooking for the Holidays
Note: this article is not intended for medical advice. If you have any questions or concerns about your health, contact a specialist immediately.
Featured picture: Veganbaking.net via photopin cc
Cranberry sauce in white ceramic bowl: bdu via photopin cc
Cranberry sauce on spoon: Didriks via photopin cc
Close up of Vegan Cranberry Sauce: Katy Wrathall Cranberry sauce via photopin (license)
Vegan cranberry sauce in jar: Cornybeard Cranberry Sauce via photopin (license)