And to those who’ve tried focaccia bread but have never made it before, it’s much easier than you think!
Focaccia bread originated from Italy. It is a dimpled flatbread that is made with yeast, olive oil and savory herbs. It has a texture similar to pizza dough that is traditionally rolled out by hand then fired in a hearth oven.
Focaccia bread has a world of possibilities. You can top it off with sliced onions, cheese (vegan) or other favorite vegetables.
The flatbread is customarily seasoned with olive oil and herbs like rosemary. Don’t be afraid to experiment a bit with different herbs. The possibilities are limitless.
Although this Vegan Focaccia Bread recipe requires yeast, rising time is very minimal (1 ½ hour). That’s it! Then you pop it in the oven and wait for a heavenly treat! You can serve focaccia bread by itself, with soup, a vegan pasta dish or for lunch with a light salad. A simple recipe that everyone will adore!
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
- 2 TBLS raw organic sugar (may use other sweetener)
- 3 TBLS extra virgin olive oil, organic
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt, fine ground
- 4 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour, sifted
- 5 TBLS extra virgin olive oil, organic
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sweetener in warm water. Make sure the water is not too hot because it will kill the yeast. Let set for 10 minutes in a warm place
- Stir in oil and salt to yeast mixture
- Add the flour to the yeast mixture ¼ to ½ cups at a time. Continue adding flour until the dough is pliable and no longer sticks to your hands
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for 10-15 minutes
- Place dough back into the bowl and cover with a towel. Place in a warm area. Allow the dough to rise for 1 hour.
- Punch down and coat with 2 TBLS olive oil then allow the dough to rise for 30 minutes. If you prefer a stronger garlic taste, you can also add the garlic to the oil at this time.
- Preheat oven to 400° F (205° C)
- Roll the dough out onto a lightly oiled 9” x 13” rimmed baking sheet or a 16” x 20”. You can makes smaller loaves by dividing the dough in half (make sure to bake for less time)
- To avoid bubbles, use your fingers to create small dimples in the dough
- Cover the dough with the remaining oil and sprinkle with desired topping.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 20–25 minutes or until golden brown
- Cool on rack. Serve hot or at room temperature
- Diet Type: Vegan
- Culinary Tradition: Italian
Mighty Fine Vegan Focaccia Bread