A Hot Toddy always reminds me of my grandparents.
When I was a kid all the adults got together to play cards. I remember all the adults would have their little drinks (they got bigger throughout the day) while playing cards. At times my grandma could sense that I felt left out, so she slipped me small dashes of whiskey in my non-alcohol drink. Yes, the dashes got larger as grandma drank more.
Today, I am not much of a drinker, especially hard alcohol. But I do love a good Hot Toddy. It is warm and comforting plus it brings back fond memories and special moments. PS I drink mine without alcohol.
This recipe can be altered to fit your diet. Use Numi’s Orange Spice white tea or Mighty Leaf Tea Vanilla Bean (black tea) coupled with vanilla and amaretto essence. You can make your Hot Toddy with cream, whole milk or use coconut creamer. As well, opt out on the alcohol or prepare this fabulous drink with your choice of liquor.
Note: There are links within this post that we can earn a commission on. This is how we keep our site free for you! So we really appreciate you purchasing through our links.
- 4 teabags Numi’s Orange Spice or Mighty Leaf Tea Vanilla Bean
- 6 cups hot filtered water
- 4 tablespoons apple brandy or 1 ½ teaspoons organic apple extract
- 4 teaspoons Amaretto or 1 ½ teaspoons almond extract
- 4 teaspoons orange liquor or 1 ½ teaspoons orange extract
- Coconut creamer, to taste (I used 2 teaspoons), can substitute regular cream
- 4 teaspoons agave nectar or preferred organic sweetener, to taste
- In a teapot, boil filtered water
- Place teabags in a teapot and close lid to keep in the tea‘s oils and essence. Allow to seep for at least 5 minutes
- If using extracts, add to the teapot and gently stir
- Pour tea into individual teacups
- If using liqueurs, add after the tea is poured into individual cups
- Add creamer and sweetener
- Serve and enjoy!
- Hot Toddy’s are also great with fresh cinnamon sticks, star anise or orange peel slices. It makes an impressive presentation!