You would never guess that these are vegan mashed potatoes.
A mashed potato recipe that is pretty much guaranteed to be a big hit with everyone, so you best plan on making extra.
The ideal side dish served during a Thanksgiving or Christmas feast.
Also perfect for summer of fall dinners when you can add fresh herbs like garlic, rosemary or other favorite spices.
Goes great with Savory Mushroom & Herb Gravy | Vegan
- * 4 pounds Russet or Yukon Gold organic potatoes (about 5-6 large)
- * ¼ cup organic vegan butter (Earth Balance, Spectrum or other brands)
- * 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- * 1/3 -½ cup non-GMO soy creamer, unsweetened (Organic Valley, So Delicious or other brands); can use unsweetened almond milk
- * 1 teaspoon rock or Himalayan salt, to taste
- * ½ teaspoon fresh black pepper, to taste
- Scrub and clean potatoes, make sure and remove the eyes (they make your mashed potatoes bitter). Peel the potatoes if desired then cut into evenly sized quarters
- Place potatoes in a large pot of hot water. Boil for 25-35 minutes until done. You can test them with a fork
- Drain potatoes in a colander. Return to pan, add garlic and cook on very low heat for approximately 1 minute to remove moisture. Take care not to burn
- With a potatoes masher, mash the potatoes and garlic. Don’t worry, a few clumps right now is just fine
- Add vegan butter, salt and pepper to the potatoes and mash until butter melts
- Stir in soy creamer a little at a time until you have the right consistency. You may not need to add the full ½ cup of creamer
- Serve with choice of gravy such as Savory Mushroom and Herb Gravy
- Bon appétit!
- If you like you mashed potatoes without gravy; then add a few sprigs of fresh rosemary the last five minutes of cooking. Rosemary and potatoes are a lovely blend. In fact, it is my favorite combination.
- Also, make sure ALL your ingredients are organic; it will make a huge difference in taste. Besides, organic is much healthier.