Pot pie, the ultimate winter comfort food!
This Vegan Pot Pie recipe is warm, savory and heartening. It is so delicious that even fervent omnivores will like it better than the traditional meat version.
This dish is a meal in itself. However, if you feel the need for a side dish then Roasted Brussels Sprouts are a perfect compliment.
Note: There are links within this post that we can earn a commission on. This is how we keep our site free for you! So we really appreciate you purchasing through our links.
- * 2 TBLS extra virgin olive oil
- * 1 onion, chopped
- * 1 ½ cups mushrooms (button, shitake or portabella), sliced
- * 1-2 cloves of garlic (to taste), minced
- * 2 large carrots, diced
- * 2 potatoes, diced
- * 2 stalk celery, sliced
- * ½ cup peas or green beans
- * 1 ½ cups broccoli or cauliflower florets
- * 8 ounces extra firm tofu (optional)
- * 3 cups organic vegetable broth
- * 1 teaspoon finely chopped sage (optional)
- * 1 teaspoon thyme leaves (optional)
- * 1 teaspoon sea or Himalayan salt, to taste
- * 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, to taste
- * 2 TBLS tamari
- * 2 TBLS arrowroot or GMO-free cornstarch
- * Pastry dough for double-crust pie. See above link for recipe: Really Flakey Whole Wheat Pie Crust
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Sauté onions, mushrooms, garlic, tofu (if desired) sage and thyme in oil for 3 to 5 minutes, stir often. Mix in carrots, potatoes and celery. Stir in broccoli, peas and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and simmer. Cook about 5 minutes or until vegetables are barely tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, mix the arrowroot, tamari and ¼ cup water until arrowroot is dissolved entirely. Stir mixture into vegetables. Cook on low heat about 3 minutes or until sauce thickens
- Roll out ½ of the dough to line an 11x7 inch baking dish. Pour filling into the pastry lined dish. Roll out the remaining dough and arrange over the filling. Seal and flute the edges by hand or with a fork
- Bake for 30 minutes or until crust is a golden brown
- Special Note: 2-3 (12-ounce) ramekins can be used for individual elegant servings. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Diet type: Vegan
- Diet Tags: Low Calorie, High Protein
- Culinary Tradition: English