This is a healthy, guilt free dessert that has three simple ingredients. I live for decadent treat that will have you squirming in your chair.
Here’s the Scoop: It’s vegan, dairy free, gluten free, low fat and an easy to make recipe with completely plant based ingredients.
- Strawberries are a nutritional powerhouse high in fiber, antioxidants, vitamin C and manganese.
- Tofu contains essential nutrients like protein, good-for-you fat, calcium and iron.
- Agave nectar is a great natural alternative to refined sugar with a low GI value (okay for diabetics), high in calcium and sweetness.
Here the Yummy Description: Vegan Strawberry Mousse is absolutely divine! In truth, it’s almost sinful. One mouthful and you’re hooked on the creamy and velvety texture. Let’s not forget the irresistible strawberry flavor that leaves your palate ultimately satisfied! Oh, the joy of a good mousse.
And who would have thought it was vegan… Don’t tell, no-one will ever guess!
Make sure that you buy only organic strawberries. Of all fruits, strawberries are grown with more pesticides and herbicides than any other produce. Also, the majority of strawberries are GMO’d. If you would like more information on GMO’s see October is non-GMO month.
The same goes for all your food. Always try to eat healthy and nutritious food and try to buy local organic produce. If health food stores are limited in your area, buying online is a good option. In fact, you can find reasonable prices for many organic products including Certified Vegan Dark Chocolate and Organic Blue Agave Nectar.
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 4 cups firm tofu, drained (* see notes)
- 1/3 cup agave nectar, to taste
- Dark dairy-free chocolate, shaved or grated (for garnish)
- Strawberries, sliced (for garnish)
- Add the strawberries to a blender. Blend until smooth and they have a paste-like texture. Add in the tofu a few pieces at a time. Mix until it does not want to blend anymore.
- Slowly add the agave nectar, to taste. Blend until smooth and creamy. Pour into individual goblets. Cover and chill overnight or at least two hours. The mousse should be firm.
- When ready to serve, garnish with shaved dark chocolate and a strawberry slice.
- Soft or silken tofu can be substituted for the firm, but the mousse will not be as thick.
- If you use frozen strawberries, make sure they are completely thawed and at room temperature. Otherwise the mousse will have clumps of tofu.
- You can also add a banana or two for a nice addition. As well, some people like to add an avocado for extra creaminess. However, I prefer to keep my vegetables and fruit separate.
- Another great addition is coconut whipped cream for a topping. It is wonderful!
For a nice presentation, top the vegan strawberry mousse with dark chocolate shavings, vegan whipped cream, mint and whole or sliced organic strawberries. Of course all of the garnishes are optional. And for a beautiful display, serve the mousse in decorative clear glasses.
- Strawberry mousse with whipped cream: Strawberry parfait via photopin (license)
- Strawberry mousse with chocolate shavings photo credit: Super Strawberry Pudding 250 via photopin (license)
- Strawberry mousse and poetry: Typography 2 via photopin (license)
- Strawberry mousse with mint: Strawberry And Cream via photopin (license)