This fabulous vegetarian calzone recipe has the ambiance and taste of Naples Italy revisited in your very own home.
As the aroma of calzone slowly wavers through the air you can almost touch the century old cobblestone ristorantes of culinary mastery.
This delectable main course is rich in body, flavor and quality.
Serve this incredible dish with a fresh salad and homemade garlic bread.
Healthy recipe for pesto: Traditional Pesto
Note: There are links within this post that we can earn a commission on. This is how we keep our site free for you! So we really appreciate you purchasing through our links.
- *¼ - ½ cup Pesto (recipe below)
- *2 TBLS olive oil
- *½ cup onion, chopped
- *4 cloves garlic, minced
- *1 small zucchini, sliced
- *4 button mushrooms
- *4-5 Shitake mushrooms
- *2 TBLS fresh oregano or thyme
- *¼ cup pine nuts, light roasted
- *¾ cup ricotta cheese
- *¾ cup mozzarella cheese
- *Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- * Red sauce
- *Dried red hot pepper flakes
- *¼ cup fresh Romano or parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350’
- Roll dough onto flowered surface to desired size, approximately 8’ in diameter.
- Sauté garlic, onion, zucchini, mushrooms and oregano in oil until vegetables are tender. Add salt and pepper if desired.
- Place vegetables in the center of the dough. Top the vegetables with pine nuts, ricotta and mozzarella cheese.
- Fold the crust over the filling diagonally. Moisten the edges of the round then use a fork to seal the seams.
- Place Calzone in oven and bake for 15 -25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Serve hot with preferred garnish. Goes well with salad. But usually the Calzone is a meal in itself.
- If you adore pesto, omit the mushrooms and zucchini for a special meal.
- Diet Type: Vegetarian
- Diet Tags: High Protein
- Culinary Tradition: Italian
Italian Ceramic Dinner Sets
I don’t know about you, but when it comes to dining I like the full experience. Eating is all about quality, that includes food, table settings and company!