This vegetarian chow mein is a delicious and a simple meal that everyone will love. The recipe has the perfect balance of noodles with a crispy goodness served with finely cooked vegetables and a favorable sauce.
Note~ Regular noodles (or the ones you get in a can, Yikes) do not compare. These pan-fried noodle have a wonderful freshness and a fabulous crisp texture. The noodles are commonly served under a bed of snow peas, wild mushrooms and beans sprouts seasoned with a light sauce. However, the recipe is flexible if you want to substitute another vegetable.
Note: There are links within this post that we can earn a commission on. This is how we keep our site free for you! So we really appreciate you purchasing through our links.
- *6 oz. fresh Chinese or Chow Mein Style noodles
- *2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- *¼” fresh ginger, minced
- *1 cup mushrooms, button or shitake
- *½ cup onions, cut into strips or julienne
- *5 stalks Bok Choy, sliced into strips
- *¼ - 1/3 (approx. 3 oz.) cup snow peas
- *1 cup mung bean sprouts
- *1/3 cup filtered water
- *2 ounces water chestnuts, sliced
- *2 teaspoons olive oil
- *1 TBLE tamari or soy sauce
- *Cornstarch (GMO-free) dissolved in water
- *Salt to taste
- *1 stalk green onion for garnish, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450’. Immerse noodles into boiling water and cook for 1 minute. Drain and then toss with olive oil. Place noodles on baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until crispy, turn and bake the other side.
- Heat a wok or skillet with oil. When hot, add mushrooms, onion, garlic and ginger. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in Bok Choy, snow peas, bean sprouts and water chestnuts. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add cornstarch water, tamari and salt. Cook until thickened. Serve the vegetables over the pan-fried noodles. I prefer using chop sticks when eating this dish, but a fork will be sufficient.
- Have fun & be creative!
- Diet Type: Vegetarian
- Culinary Tradition: Chinese
Chinese Serving Dishes
What better way to display this fabulous meal than in a traditional Chinese serving Dish. Check out the wonderful selects at Amazon and save.
Asian Organic Teas
A Chinese meal would not be the same without tea. Here are some great organic tea selections for serving with Chow Mein.