This wholesome stew reminds me of the food you would savor in the ristorantes of Italy.
It is a delectable stew that will bring you back for more. It is rich in flavor and packed with nutritious healthy vegetables.
Perfect for clearing out the fridge and lighting the stove on a blustery day. I mean really, what is better than a hot bowl of fresh Vegetarian Minestrone Stew when it is cold outside?
It is also a great meal served in the summertime when gardens are plentiful in fresh vegies.
Serve this full flavored minestrone stew topped with fresh Romano or Parmesan and hot bread out of the oven.
If you are on a vegan diet, you can top this amazing hearty stew with a favorite vegan cheese. The possibilities are limitless!
- *1 TBL olive oil
- *1 onion, chopped
- *2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- *1-2 carrots, diced
- *½ cup zucchini, diced
- *½ green pepper, diced
- *1 stalk celery, chopped
- *1 cup broccoli, chopped
- *2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- *4 large whole tomatoes, chopped
- *3 ½ cups filtered water
- *2 TBL fresh basil, minced
- *¼ teaspoon fresh or dried thyme
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh or dried oregano
- *¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- *Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- *A touch of honey
- *3 ½ cups of filtered water
- *2 cups small shell pasta
- *Water for cooking pasta
- Optional Garnishes
- *Fresh Basil
- *Fresh chives
- *Fresh Romano or Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add pasta. Cook al dente and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large soup pot and cook onion until translucent then add garlic. Add water and bring to a boil then turn down heat.
- Stir in carrots, celery and broccoli. Cook until partially done. About 10-15 minutes.
- Add zucchini, green pepper, spinach and spices. Simmer until almost done.
- Stir in tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender but not mushy.
- Gently stir in pasta and cook until they are heated.
- Serve stew in large bowls and garnish with grated cheese.
- Diet Type: Vegetarian
- Diet Tags: High Protein, Gluten Free
- Culinary Tradition: Italian
Italian Ceramic Soup Bowls
Ah, Italian cuisine! The perfect touch of spice, texture and flavor served in in an exquisite bowl.