If you’ve never tried a recipe for vegetarian pizza with pesto then this is a Must Try!
Pesto alone has a thousand possibilities! And it’s sooooo tasty!
This is a rich and pungent flavorful hearty meal that goes well with a fresh salad or veggies.
From portabellas and peppers to pine nuts and onions. The tantalizing aroma that fills the air when it bakes is enough to make anyone go mad.
And yes, the pizza dough is on the lighter sides of things (Not the typical heavy whole wheat crust).
- ¼ - ½ cup Pesto
- ½ onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1-2 Portabella mushrooms
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated (or Vegan cheese, if desired)
- Dried red hot pepper flakes
- ¼ cup fresh Romano or Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, chopped fine
- ½ cup pine nuts, walnut may be substituted, chopped fine
- *Salt to taste (no more than 1 teaspoon)
- Preheat oven to 400° F (220° C)
- Pesto; Blend the basil leaves in small portions of around ¾ cup in a food processor. Mix until well chopped. Add the nuts, garlic and oil a little at a time until creamy and smooth.
- The Dough; Roll dough onto flowered surface. If you want to give it a whirl, you can try tossing the dough into the air before rolling. This is an old method that can transform the ball into a disk if done right.
- Once rolled out, make sure the dough is thicker on the end than in the middle. That way you have a good crust and it is not doughy in the center. Carefully place the dough on the pizza pan when the dough is the right size.
- Prepare the toppings.
- Time to assemble. Spread the pesto over the dough. Now, not too much pesto for it will be oily and not too little for the pizza will be dry as a bone. Most of the time this is not a problem. But I really love pesto and sometimes I get carried away.
- Place the mushrooms, fresh garlic and onions over the pizza. You can also add other vegetables like zucchini or green peppers if you like.
- Spread the mozzarella over the pizza and Voilà, you’re ready to bake.
- Place pizza in preheated oven 8-12 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Serve hot with preferred garnishes.
- Diet type: Vegetarian
- Diet tags: High Protein, Gluten Free
- Culinary tradition: Italian
Shopping Online for Organic Ingredients
Today, shopping online is getting quite popular for good reason. It is so much cheaper, convenient and has quick delivery. Plus you can buy items that are not easily found at your local grocery store. Here are a few basic items for making Vegetarian Pizza with Pesto Portobello and Mozzarella that are reasonably priced: