This renowned vegetarian sandwich recipe is not built for one person but for two, three or possibly 4 people. It is humongous and absolutely delicious.
With an Italian touch of spice that intermingles with American Subs, this baked sandwich is sure to please.
This is a hearty meal that can be catered to individual tastes. It is so much better than the frozen types of vegie burgers you get in the store. It is like comparing frozen corn to corn on the cob. There is a world of difference. Try different spices or garnishes to fit your own taste buds such as sprouts, chopped onion or fresh hot peppers; let the imagination run free.
Note: There are links within this post that we can earn a commission on. This is how we keep our site free for you! So we really appreciate you purchasing through our links.
- *1 very large fresh loaf of bread, unsliced and not hard, be sure it is soft
- *1-2 TBLS olive oil
- *2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- *2-3 teaspoons basil
- *1-2 teaspoons oregano
- *1- 2 large ripe avocados, sliced
- *1 small onion, thinly sliced
- *3-4 portabella or button mushrooms, sliced
- *1 jalapeno (optional)
- *5-7 slices of provolone cheese
- *5-6 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- *5-6 slices mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375’. Slice bread in half cutting lengthwise (horizontally). Using a butter brush, dab oil on the inside of the bread where you would normally put a sandwich spread. Sprinkle with garlic, basil and oregano.
- Place the bottom slice of bread on a very large piece of tinfoil. This step will save you a lot of grief.
- Starting with the cheese, place one layer of mozzarella on the bottom bread loaf. Next add a layer of avocado then mushroom and finally onion.
- Next add a layer of cheddar cheese and repeat layers of avocado, mushrooms and onion.
- Finish off with the provolone and then the remainder of the vegetable. Make sure and have some cheese on the very stop layer so the sandwich holds together.
- Place the top half over the now hero sandwich. Wrap the sides and tops with the tin foil.
- Place the sandwich on the center rack and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve hot with some chips or devour it just by itself. Have a lot of fun!
- Diet type: Vegetarian
- Diet Tags: High Protein
- Culinary Tradition: Italian
Italian Ceramic Flat Bowls
Are you looking for ways to show off this fabulous baked vegetarian sandwich? Here are some beautiful Italian Flat Bowls that are perfect.
Baked Vegetarian Sandwich on white plate: Ja Cie Kocham