This soup has a wonderful taste and aroma. Above that, it is quite simple to prepare.
It is a vegetable barley soup that is high in nutrition and perfect for a diabetic or vegan diet. Barley is a nice change from other grains and legumes.
It has a nutty flavor with a delightful texture. This easy to make soup is great any time of the year and can be adapted with many vegetables to your liking.
- *6 cups vegetable broth
- *¾ cup barley
- *2TBL olive oil
- *1 onion, chopped
- *3 cloves garlic, minced
- *2-3 carrots, diced
- *1 stalk celery, diced
- *½ head cabbage, sliced thin
- *2 medium zucchini, diced
- *1 cup mushrooms (optional), sliced
- *3 ½ cups tomatoes, diced
- *Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- *1 bay leaf
- Sauté onion, garlic, carrots and celery in oil on medium-low heat for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Add the remaining vegetables, barley (thoroughly cleaned) vegetable broth and bay leaf
- Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat to low-medium heat. Simmer and cook soup for 1 hour or until barley is tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with fresh bread or rolls.
- Diet Type: Vegen
- Diet Tags: Gluten Free
Amazon Cast Iron Pots for Soups