This veggie burger recipe makes a hearty meal that can be catered to individual tastes.
It is so much better than the frozen types of veggie burgers you get in the store.
It’s like comparing frozen corn to corn on the cob. There is a world of difference.
Try different spices or garnishes to fit your own taste buds, let your imagination run free.
Goes great with Old Fashioned Tomato Bisque Soup!
Note: There are links within this post that we can earn a commission on. This is how we keep our site free for you! So we really appreciate you purchasing through our links.
- *1/2 cup French or red lentils
- *3 - 4 portabella mushroom caps
- *1 TBLE olive oil
- *2 cloves garlic, minced
- *1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- *½ celery stalk, finely chopped
- *1 cup vegetable broth
- *½ teaspoon ground cumin
- *Sharp cheddar or provolone cheese, sliced
- *4- 5 slices of dried bread
- *Fresh sandwich bread, sliced or veggie buns
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add lentils and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until tender. Stir occasionally and add more water if needed. Drain all water and cool.
- Cut off the dirty part of the mushroom stem then chop the rest of the stem and cap into big slices.
- Heat oil and sauté onions for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 2-3 minutes longer. Mix in the mushrooms and cumin, cook for 4-5 more minutes.
- In a bowl crush the bread into small pieces or spin in a food processor for minute. Add the lentils, cooked mushrooms and onion. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Form burgers into patties. Cook on oiled grill 3-5 minutes then turn over. Place slices of cheese on the top and cook another 3-5 minutes Jalapenos can also be added at this time.
- Serve hot with bread and preferred garnish or topping.
- Diet type: Vegetarian
- Diet tags: High protein
- Culinary Tradition: English
Cast Iron Grill Pans
Veggie Burger on Blue Plate: Christaface via photopin cc
Veggie burger with carrots and celery sides: sweetbeetandgreenbean via photopin cc
Veggie burger with avocado and arugula: Muy Yum via photopin cc
Vegie burger with fries: Scorpions and Centaurs veggie burger and fries via photopin (license)